Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Jabez Generation

A few years ago, Dr. Bruce Wilkinson wrote a book centered around one verse in the book of 1 Chronicles that holds a prayer of a man named Jabez. I'm sure you've heard about the book, The Prayer of Jabez. with over ten million copies sold, you've likely read it. For the sake of honesty, I must admit that I have never read the book but I've heard sermons preached about it and people proclaimed its miraculous wonders. With great excitement they say, "this book changed my life!" and, "it will cause blessings to flow into your life".

Below is the blurb that describes the book on Christianbook.com
"Do you want to be extravagantly blessed by God? Are you ready to reach for the extraordinary? To ask God for the abundant blessings He longs to give you? Let Bruce Wilkinson help you discover how the remarkable prayer of a little-known Bible hero can release God's favor, power and protection. You'll see how one daily prayer can help you leave the past behind and break through to the life you were meant to live."
This blurb sounds just like all the hype I have heard about the book. According to what I've heard, the "truth" of this prayer seems to focus around "enlarge my territory" and "bless me indeed". But this is a very superficial and selfish warping of the truth of Jabez's prayer.

Is it possible that we completely missed the point of Jabez's prayer?

Is it possible that our obsession with the Prosperity Gospel has blinded us to the true heart of Jabez?

No comments:

Post a Comment